Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Title: Director - Emergency Services
Location: Honolulu, HI
Provides administrative and financial accountability for planning, directing, staffing, coordinating, and controlling functions and activities of all areas of Emergency Services which include Emergency Department, Clinical Decision Unit, Ambulatory Treatment Center, Hon Urgent Care. Coordinates and directs activities between and within various substructures of organization to accomplish departmental and organizational goals. Supervises assigned staff.
- Establishes & oversees on going program for staff development, education, training, orientation & in-service needs. Develops programs, content, & criteria to be used to educate & train staff to work in Emergency Services. Advises & directs activities of Coordinators/Supervisors/Managers who are responsible for daily activities in each department or specialty area
- Designs patient care delivery system. Initiates & participates in research methods to improve nursing & administrative practice. Analyzes, plans, & makes recommendations for future departmental planning needs, regarding physical expansion, renovation & or expansion of services provided
- Develops & implements operating & capital budget including personnel, supplies, equipment & capital expenditures. Evaluates their current level of effectiveness
- Promotes organizational goals & establishes standards of practice, goals & objectives for departments. Develops & implements policies & procedures to reflect same for each specific unit. Directs & develops programs for all units in Emergency Services. Collaborates with risk management, nursing, & hospital administration to monitor & report pertinent patient care information
- Develops organizational structure for assigning responsibility & delegating authority. Monitors & evaluates proctoring & credentialing process for physicians & provides input to department chiefs regarding practice
- Interprets & implements all hospital policies, TJC, DOH, OSHA, state & federal legislative requirements & recommendations. Assures departmental compliance.
- Controls & monitors inventories. Develops inventory control program. Collaborates with vendors to screen & evaluate products
- Establishes & provides for patient billing & cost analysis program. Assures prices are updated & monitors charging process. Coordinates billing activities with materials & accounting departments
- Develops, oversees, & monitors departmental Quality Assurance Program. Coordinates Quality activities with other departments to assure problem identification & resolution
- Evaluates, formulates, & regulates activities & policies for maintaining accepted standards for sterilization & infection control
- Establishes scheduling practices. Coordinates scheduling activities with Hospital Operations.
- Coordinates bargaining & union related activities with personnel department & associated union representatives. Establishes programs for employee recruitment & retention. Formulates & defines functions/qualifications of staff by developing performance standards, job description, & peer evaluation process
- Develops environmental control, safety, fire, & disaster programs for department within Region's policies & procedures
- Maintains current knowledge of changes in health care legislation, nursing practice, management techniques, technology & community practice. Represents region & surgical services at department, hospital & community events. Educates community to services provided & promotes sharing of resources
- Additional essential functions as listed in the complete job description
- Eight years related nursing experience.
- Three years managerial experience in a major Medical Center Emergency Department or related area
- Master's degree in Nursing, Public Health, or Business Administration or RN license with six years nursing management experience.
- Valid Hawaii RN license (must meet education requirement(s) for Hawaii State licensure).
- Current BLS for Healthcare Provider CPR or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in decision making conflict resolution, change management, influence, oral communication, written communication, problem solving, quality management and team building.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in word processing and spreadsheet PC applications.
- Knowledge of Kaiser organization or HMO.